Monday, February 11, 2013

2.5 Forwarding


“A writer forwards a text by taking words, images, or ideas from it and putting them to use in new contexts” (Harris 37). Not only he/she is observing ideas from a text, but also use it to support what his/her text. I use forwarding in my writings a lot. I think it is a better way to convince the audience to understand my thoughts and ideas. Even in this blog post I used it in the beginning of this post. I see a lot of forwarding in my emails. Music school forwards me a ton of emails about opportunities to perform or offering a job. I like the forwarding method, because it provides more details about information for the audience to understand the writer’s ideas. On The New York Times, I found this one article about how video games can affect people, and might cause them to be more violent. It’s called “Shooting in the Dark”, and written by Benedict Carey. It states, “The young men who opened fire at Columbine High School, at the movie theater in Aurora, Colo., and in other massacres had this in common: they were video gamers who seemed to be acting out some dark digital fantasy”. He uses what happened “at the movie theater in Aurora, Colo”, to explain what he thinks that violent video games leads people’s illusions towards to “some dark digital fantasy”. Later on he uses other person’s discover to suppose his idea; “‘we found that higher rates of violent video game sales related to a decrease in crimes, and especially violent crimes,” said Dr. Ward, whose co-authors were A. Scott Cunningham of Baylor University and Benjamin Engelstätter of the Center for European Economic Research in Mannheim, Germany”. It shows that Harris’s idea of forwarding actually applies in writing. 

Shooting in the Dark

No comments:

Post a Comment